Our topic today: Community Organizing --- Methods and models. Who's doing what in our region in the areas of:
- Tenants Rights
- Healthcare for All
- In-Home Care (alternatives to Nursing Homes)Members and guests will share current experiences and updates from East Bay Housing Organizations (EBHO), Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE Action) and Moms4Housing; East Bay Democratic Socialists of America (East Bay DSA), the Tenants Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA), Berkeley Tenants Union (BTU), and others.
Tenant Council Leaders and Senior Housing residents will report on concerns and progress in creating a sense of community for mutual aid and owner accountability in their buildings (Harriet Tubman, Redwood Gardens, Strawberry Creek Lodge, SAHA Senior Homes; Dwight Way Apartments and others welcome).plus: Gray Panthers/Community Senior Housing Fire Evacuation Safety Task Force: Getting organized with the neighbors inside and outside your building seems like the best way to be prepared when the elevators shut down. Marcia Kimmel from Redwood Gardens, Carole Marasovic from Oregon Park, and Daveed Mandell, an ADA advocate/specialist, volunteered to work on this issue. Updates and brainstorming a scope of purpose, goals, and strategies. (round #2)
Seniors and Housing Checkins
UPDATES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Your announcements; upcoming events
- California Governor Recall Election: Why Your Vote Matters, How to Get Your Ballot In
- Panthers presence at "Solano Stroll" alternative with TOPA organizers Sunday, September 12
- Sunday, 8/29: Mini-park for Black August gathering/fundraiser in the park in the median of Adeline and with Auntie Francis and the Self-Help Food Project
- Mobility for All updates on transportation policy
- Care is Essential delivery of 400 stories to Speaker Pelosi's SF office this Friday with Hand in Hand, the Domestic Employers Network.
Adjourn 3:30; further connections 'til 4
Gray Panthers East Bay Weekly Zoom Meeting, some Wednesdays 1:30pm
Meeting ID: 858 8494 3363 Passcode: 446231
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,85884943363#,,,,,,0#,,446231# US (San Jose)
CALL BY PHONE - +16699006833
Meeting ID: 858 8494 3363
Gray Panthers of Berkeley and the East Bay (aka EBGP) meets some Wednesdays at 1:30 by phone or Zoom.
Your RSVP on this page is appreciated but not required. If you do RSVP we'll email a link with full access info for the call.