EAST BAY GRAY PANTHERS SPEAKER MEETINGS are usually every Fourth Wednesday of most months from 1:30 to 4pm - All are Welcome!
May is MENTAL HEALTH MONTH! We have two featured speakers at our 4th Wednesday public forum:
- Paul Kealoha Blake, co-owner of East Bay Media Center, is a long-time member and former chair of the Berkeley Homeless Commission, and a former chair of the Berkeley Mental Health Commission. He is also CEO of Consider the Homeless since 2021.
- Christina Murphy - among other experience, is outreach staff with Options for Recovery in Berkeley, and program manager at La Familia Counseling Services for Sally's Place peer respite center, one of five in Alameda County. She is a former Rent Board Commissioner and volunteer organizer of the community Health, Wealth, and Housing Fairs at the Ashby Flea Market with Friends of Adeline.
Some starting questions --- How are we doing individually? Can we be more chill and still fight for justice?
Berkeley is one of two California Cities with its own mental health department. What does that get us? 911 calls for suicide attempts, threats, and gestures come from every part of Berkeley. How would a Special Care Center help? Who do these city's online Mental Health Apps help?
What is the Peer Respite Network? Can anyone check in to Sally's Place?
How do we criminalize and how can we decriminalize mental illness, while still holding people accountable and increase community safety?
BRING YOUR own experiences, questions and resources to share. There will be ample time for discussion.
- Jan Santos, of the East Bay Center for the Blind will also join us with latest news and updates on the Transit Justice Project/Transportation Access Survey. After a short
- NATIONAL COUNCIL OF GRAY PANTHER NETWORKS
- SB3700 Cap on Insulin;
- Get private equity funds out of nursing homes and housing
- Interfaith action against Roe Vs. Wade
- Essential Caregivers Act; Long Term Care 4 All Coalition
- EBGP Chapter News and Member Action Alerts
- Development standards for Ashby and North Berkeley BART Stations
- Berkeley Tenants Convention - June 28; SDA; Equity Summit June 25;
- PPC Fundraising to send 1000 Californians to California
- Contributions for reading of "Roe" by Actors Ensemble
- Other Announcements and Requests for Endorsements as time permits
Adjourn - zoom room open until 4pm
Mental Health Resources
- California Council on Criminal Justice and Behavioral Health - https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/ccjbh/ccjbh-news-and-events/
- Mental Health America Peer Services
- SAMHSA Resources for Families Coping with Mental and Substance Use Disorders
- SAMHSA Mental Health Treatment Works
- U.S. Surgeon General’s Advisory on Protecting Youth Mental Health
- Local Organizations With Mental Health Expertise | MentalHealth.gov