|Dear CARA Members (all East Bay Gray Panther members are part of this, as we are a member) and Friends,
This holiday weekend, we hope all of us can take a moment to think about what Independence really means. Because none of us are free, or independent, unless all of us. We must use this moment in our nation's history to fight for racial, economic, social and health care equality for all - not just for some.
We have an opportunity to make our voices heard and urge the Healthy CA commission to implement a health care system in California that serves us all. Please register for the Healthy CA Commission meeting on :
An overview of the Commission's charter from its website: "The purpose of the Healthy California for All Commission is to provide the Governor and the Legislature with options and recommendations to advance progress toward achieving a health care delivery system in California that provides coverage and access through a unified financing system, including, but not limited to, a single-payer financing system, for all Californians."
Single-payer (popularized as "Medicare for All") is the key term!! This is what the Commission must know that the public demands, unequivocally -- and what the COVID-19 pandemic, growing unemployment, and massive civil unrest make clear is the only path forward.
- Public input during the meeting will be mostly limited to written Q+A comments (no video input);
- There will be breakout discussions, where members of the public will be able to observe facilitated conversations among a subset of Commission members -- these will focus on health equity and quality;
- A 30-minute oral comment period is planned for the end of the meeting, with comments likely limited to 90 seconds per person;
- Presentations will be published no later than the night before, July 7th, on the website;
- Those who wish to submit more substantial written comments for public record are encouraged to email the Commission at HealthyCAforAll@chhs.ca.gov
What we're encouraging for public advocacy:
Be concise and persuasive, in written and/or oral comments -- make demands for a single-payer system, and for working-class representationon the Commission advisory groups -- ideally, mention the Healthy California Now coalition and suggest the Commission follow our recommendations for advisors;
- During the breakout discussions, comment in favor of single-payer on the health equity and quality topics, track what Commission members say and how they respond in their groups, and be ready to report back and hold members accountable;
- Try to review any published material beforehand and be able to give feedback.
We hope you can join CARA and our coalition partners on July 8th. Until then, have a safe holiday weekend and let's continue to fight for justice and equality for all.
Healthy California for All Commission
to Hold Virtual Meeting July 8
Sacramento, Calif. —
The Healthy California for All Commission will hold a virtual Zoom meeting Wednesday, July 8, continuing its work to develop a plan for advancing progress toward achieving a health care delivery system for California that provides coverage and access through a unified financing system, including, but not limited to a single payer financing system.
The Commission’s 13 voting members include California Health and Human Services Secretary Mark Ghaly, eight gubernatorial appointees and four legislative appointees. There are also five ex-officio, non-voting members.
At the July 8 meeting, within the context of designing unified financing, Commission members will review key elements and options; consider the sequence of upcoming meeting topics; and discuss design issues related to equity and quality. Commission members will also review and discuss a community engagement advisory process. The agenda is available online
and more information can be found on the Healthy Califirnia for All website
||Members of the Healthy California for All Commission
||Healthy California for All Commission virtual meeting
||3:00 p.m. – 6:00pm, Wednesday, July 8, 2020
||Zoom Virtual Meeting
|Please register in advance for this meeting by using the Zoom registration link below.
Click here to register for the meeting
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
The order in which agenda items are considered may be subject to change. Public comment will be taken in writing during the meeting using a Zoom feature. When submitting your written question or comment, please indicate your name for the record and identify any group or organization you represent.
Written public comment may also be submitted to HealthyCAforAll@chhs.ca.gov
To receive future communications regarding the Commission please submit a request to HealthyCAforAll@chhs.ca.gov
to be added to the distribution list.